Staying Awake tools
- Exercise equipment: The important thing during the transition period is to get your heart rate up. There are a variety of ways to do this. Some that require equipment are:
- Use a treadmill and a music stand. Put a funny book on the music stand, and read and laugh while you walk.
- Treadmill: Cheap (Phoenix 516 Easy-Up Manual Treadmill ), Moderate (Horizon Fitness T51 Treadmill ), or Full-featured (Star Trac Pro Treadmill ; at least I hope it has lots of features at that price)
- Music stand: Cheap (West Music Wire Music Stand ), Professional and unportable (Manhasset MH48 Black ), Looks good (Adjustable Music Stand ; appears to have clips to hold the book in place, but I'm not sure)
- Funny book: The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams, or Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (well, I think they're funny, anyway)
- Gripping book: some people find that a gripping book works as well as a funny one. The one that gripped me the most while I was reading it was the first book in the Mark of the Lion series. I've also found that the Harry Potter series can be quite gripping -- the point here is to stay awake, not to immerse oneself in the Great Books of the Western World .
- Use something that gets both your arms and legs going, either cheap (Tony Little Gazelle Edge Fitness System ) or a little more (Tony Little Gazelle Power Plus Fitness System ). Apparently you can watch television while doing this.
- Dance, Dance Revolution (a computer game that actually makes you fit if you play it enough) appeals to many too. There are a number of different versions for a number of different platforms, including PS2 , XBox .
- Flashing lights might help
- Bucket s of cold water
- Stuff to keep you laughing
- Loud music: either stuff you love or stuff you hate (whichever gets you out of bed better)
- Fruit juice: especially grape, but anything. You may want a Juicer. Probably not the ultra-cheap Citrus Only . But you can still choose from Cheap , Moderately priced , and Deluxe .
If you thought this page was valuable, please consider returning some of that value by either:
- Buying yourself something using one of the links to Amazon on this site
- Donating a book to me.